Tuesday, December 8, 2009

The Little Things... in Movies.




I can't help but notice inconsistencies while watching movies and TV shows. I wish I didn't notice... because it bugs me when I do, and then I can't pretend it's okay and believable. The way a person's hair is swept across their face or shoulders, how much soup is in their bowl... when it doesn't match up throughout a scene due to different camera angles and editing, non-continuity. Phooey.

If we are to buy into the scene of a film, and hopefully get sucked in for the duration... to stir our emotions as if these people on screen are real people, feeling real pain, or whatever emotion they intend to elicit from us... it has to seem real. I find it difficult to stay in it while details (or due to someone's lack of attention to) are distracting... pulling me away from their dialogue, inserting a record scratch, skip into my head, so to speak.

When things just don't make sense, I get annoyed at myself for allowing the "this or that" to yank me out of the movie. One example that comes to mind is a scene in "The Notebook." It is summer on the South Carolina coast, yet it is so cold that you can see the breath of the actors as they speak! Now, how can I believe they are strolling along on a hot summer night below the Mason-Dixon? Dang you obvious physics for taunting me. Anachronisms are all over the place since the film is supposed to take place in the 40's. Continuity issues are rampant. It kind of turns into a game.



I know there are people on set paid to take notice of these things while filming, and then there is the art of editing. The way most films are shot these days, editing makes or breaks the whole biscuit. If more takes have to be done,  dude needs to begin eating a new sandwich (but not too new). Homegirl's hair doesn't need to randomly switch from curly/poofy to straight/flat. The candle needs to burn at a reasonable rate, comparable with the pace of the conversation, and in sync with filming. Is that asking so much?

(Ooh, have to add one I just thought of... I mean this is really old but each time I watch "The Wizard of Oz", I can't help but twitch a little as the length of Dorothy's hair magically grows and shrinks by 5 inches or so, in the same scene.) 

I think I missed my calling. I would kick ass.

I called attention to "The Notebook" above because it is easy to pick on. I could list others, but it would be more fun if you all would add your observations from other films. Anyone? (If only one person participates, I'm expecting Julie.)

7 comments:

  1. I only notice these things when they're pointed out to me. I get so caught up in the story, I ignore the background, I guess.

    We were watching Mr. and Mrs. Smith on TV a couple weeks ago, and the people "hosting" the movie pointed one out. There's a scene where Brad and Angelina are standing next to each other in a doorway. The camera cuts to the people on the other side of the doorway and back to B and A and they're standing on the opposite sides (B on the left first, then on the right).

    I didn't even notice it while watching.

    Oops.

    I was also TOTALLY taken by surprise at the end of The Sixth Sense (although I guessed The Village's ending way before it got to the end).

    Which means I catch plot issues but not scenery issues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally prefer to get all caught up in the story... but I just can't help but notice things sometimes. I actually love The Notebook, even though it is sappy and a lot of people think it's crap, I admit that I love the characters and story. The timing was everything too because my grandmother was in the full throws of Alzheimer's and in and out of knowing who my grandpa was... and they have been together since she was 15, he 17, since the 40's. Plus, my teenage romance broke up almost exactly like their break-up scene outside of the car. So, yeah, I needed a box of kleenex!

    I usually figure out endings from the beginning too but The Sixth Sense was GREAT!

    Thanks for reading and commenting! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was in my seat bouncing up and down in agreement at The Notebook thing. I thought the exact same thing the last time I watched it. I notice this stuff too sometimes but can't think of a good example right now. If I come up with one, I will comment again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl - totally! You did miss your calling...your movies would be perfect! =) The one I remember is in the Breakfast Club and Claire puts her lipstick away twice...c'mon people! I know I've seen others...that is the fist one that came to mind...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love The Notebook too! Pretty Woman is another. It has a bunch of mishaps. One is when Vivian and Edward first meet, in the hotel room, she's watching I Love Lucy. They start getting frisky and his tie is different in the scenes.
    Enjoyed reading your blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked The Notebook, the movie. I HATED the book. I almost didn't even watch the movie because of the book, but I'm glad I changed my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your comments ladies! =)
    I also thought the book was awful. And I think I have slightly offended people before because there are a lot of Nicholas Sparks fans out there. I just don't care for his writing at all. One rare example where the film is superior!

    ReplyDelete