Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Puhsonahlitee

I was hanging out with my fella and a couple of our friends the other night. They have known my man for 10 years (she) or 20 years (he). It doesn't really matter what led up to this comment... and to be quite honest, I don't exactly remember. The point is that the "she" friend said to me:
"Well at least they will always make us laugh... no matter what else,
we will always have fun with them!"



When we are younger, we are reminded by our elders how much personality matters and that it should be developed and valued over physical traits and appearance (if we were lucky enough to have smart elders around). With a little age and experience, one realizes how essential a stellar personality is in your other person... to find that person attractive and enjoyable day to day and year after more years. It has to work for you and only you... but no matter what keeps you smitten, laughing, interested, whatever, whatever, it always comes back to personality. Period.

I do indeed have an experience from my past that vividly solidified this for me, at the age of 18. I went on two dates with a physical trainer who had the most muscular body I have ever hugged in real life. I didn't have a boyfriend at the time, was bored, and this guy was really good looking. I thought, he's different than other guys I have dated, but what the hell? Different may be better. Unfortunately, he had the personality and excitement of a doormat. Not a doormat with a clever quote or cute greeting... but rather one who found it necessary to worry about how many fat grams were in my bean burrito and nachos and cheese dip. (At the time I weighed about 112 lbs. at 5'7".) If you know me at all, insulting my divine obsession for and enjoyment of authentic Mexican cuisine is a heinous act to commit. The only conversation he could participate in was telling me how many miles he had run that day, how much weight he had lifted, and how many calories he had not consumed by abstaining from beer, food that taste worth a damn, and any other indulgence that is usually normal for a 21 year old. It was enough for me to realize that I never cared to go on another date with anyone based on looks from that point forward and forever more.



I mean, you have to be attracted to someone... but again that brings you back around to personality, or at least it does for me. A magnetic personality can physically transform a person before your very eyes. It may sound cheesy and cliché, but it is the absolute truth. How else can women still get all googly over their men even after he has lost some or all of his hair, gained a lil or a lotta weight, and may not even be deemed attractive by the average woman? That's what we all want though... not that we hope and pray that our men will fall apart over the years... but let's face it, the aging process is not equally kind to everyone. It can be a little unpredictable at best, and basically I want to really like someone at their core, for the energy they exude and for their place in the world (not their career status or such but for their contributions to humanity on even the tiniest day-to-day scale). I want a man who can easily make me laugh, carry on an intellectual conversation, be open enough and secure with himself to learn from me, and be interesting enough to teach me new things or prompt new thought or debate... and be amusing, lively, and straight-up FUN!


When you've had a bad day, are struggling with stresses from work, children, parents or other family members, whomever the pains in your arse may be, it sure is nice to have someone to spend time with who just makes you giggle. And if you're lucky, that person can help you forget the troubles of the world (when you need it most) and make you laugh your arse off!





ENDING NOTE: I previously thought I could only be physically attracted to a guy over 6 feet tall. I am a tall chick in heels and one of my superficial preferences was to have a guy who would always be taller than I, regardless of my foot attire. Well, my man is 5'11" and I look him square in the eyes while wearing pumps... but I couldn't be more smitten. Personality baby! Don't sell it short and don't overlook the short(er). Dammit I'm cheesy today!

3 comments:

  1. The "clever quote or cute greeting" thing gave me the giggles.

    And I agree 100%. Rich makes me laugh every day. It's so important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post girl! You are such a great writer! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've realised over the years that a great personality can make a so-so looking man incredibly hot and a lousy (or no) personality can make a hot guy kinda ugly.

    ReplyDelete