Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Authentic Anyone?



Okay, so one thing I really want from people... is for them to say what they mean and mean what they say. Is that too much to ask? Gheesh. I appreciate a brutally direct person more than one sugar-coating bullshit any day of the week. Now, I realize this goes against my Southern upbringing. I was surrounded by women who were sweet as brown sugar pie to people around them, and then bash them to bits as soon as they were out of earshot. Especially at church. What the hell? Being polite when called for and having basic manners is one thing... but that's not really what I'm talking about here.

Men do it too. My ex used to commit to plans with friends all of the time, just to blow them off and not follow through. He did this over and over. It pissed me off so much! Why not at least tell me that you have no interest in going to that dinner, to that party, etc.

I know I am all over the place here.

My family, though I love them, have always been that stereotypical Southern family that looks all peachy fine on the outside while there is an astronomical mess about to explode on the inside. But shhhhh, don't talk about it. Damn sure don't mention anything to someone outside of the family circle. Hell, be in denial within the family. I have still not figured out how this helps anything or anyone. You know why? Because it doesn't. How could it? Don't get me wrong, I love my Southern roots for many reasons. But I have to say that I have had a green eye on occasion for those boisterous Italian or Jewish families who just let it all hang out, speaking their mind and rolling with it. It just seems easier that way. I would rather a person tell me they hate me to my face than tell me they love me only to be lying. 

This entire issue is why I have had few close friends in my life... lack of authenticity. Who is real? Who will turn around and stab you in the back, talk rubbish behind your back, or just use you for their best interest while providing nothing in return? What I call a "one-way friendship."

I realize that this could be easily divided into two different topics... maybe I will write more later and it will be more focused.

I like real people. I want to know what I am dealing with, and then I can decide if I want you around. ;o)

So, "say what you mean and mean what you say!" If you say you are going to do something, do it. If you say something, mean it!

This concludes my rant for the day. =)

6 comments:

  1. Well hello there. I'm enjoying this immensely. Keep it up please.

    And I haven't heard anyone use the word "rubbish" since my grandmom. Adding it to the lexicon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, girl! I feel the exact same way! I have realized through the years...that many people hide behind facades...facades that pump themselves up. They are ugly on the inside and know it...they just don't want you or anyone else to know it. But...as I'm sure you know...the truth rears its ugly head in time. Thanks for posting, and dammit - I really do love your hair - and YOU!! You are beautiful on the inside and out! xoxo - k

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Julie!

    Kasey you crack me up! Your random hair compliment made me LOL girl! Smooches!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice rant! And I am totally with you on the behind the back stuff. Grrr! We are two peas, I swear! Also you should probably connect with my friend Renee...one side of her family is Italian, the other side Jewish! her blog is http://lifeissweet16.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. ^^^^ Renee. :-) Leslee mentioned this to me the other night and I finally remembered to come look for it.

    I can tell you that sometimes that brutal honesty isn't all that great. There have been some family rifts that never should have been. But still, it is nice to know where you stand.

    Just an FYI, but those stereotypical New York/New Jersey Jews and Italians SO don't represent my family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Renee, I know it's a stereotype and certainly doesn't represent all... I based my description on a few friends I have. =) I know what you mean, (the honesty thing is good, being direct is good, but) the "brutal" part is NOT good. Mean things are said in my family... we just hear about it from someone other than the direct source, drives me crazy! But what can one do? They're not gonna change! Rather it's directly to the person or behind the person's back to someone else, I vote for the, "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." Thank you for reading and for your comment ;o)

    ReplyDelete