Friday, November 13, 2009

Picking Myself Up


My friend Leslee inspired this post. She asked me to write about an "a-ha" moment for a click story on her blog Waiting for the Click

I was married for 10 years, almost 11 including the separation, but I don't count that. I won't go into how or why I got myself into the marriage or all of the awful things that occurred during the marriage (that would take another blog post or maybe a book to cover). This is about getting out and the "a-ha" moment I had in the midst of the insanity.

My ex was a vicious, threatening, horrible excuse for a person during much of the separation. He loved feeling like he had the power to screw up my life, even more than he already had. During one particular phone conversation, he was refusing to cooperate with anything that would enable me to take care of myself financially. He had run up debt that was either in both of our names or solely in my name. In fact, his accruing debt behind my back was the straw that broke it all and prompted me to kick him out months earlier. While listening to his booming voice-from-hell threatening to force me out of the house, thereby making me homeless and preventing me from keeping my animals, I went to the zoo! Or maybe I was trying to escape from the zoo. I threw my phone as hard as I could, and bust it into 20 pieces. It didn't stop there.

I had remained calm and rational during most of the madness. Well, not this day. I went monkey-butt-marble-free! I was suffocating. I couldn't breathe. I was swallowed by my environment. I couldn't escape my past. It was staring at me from everywhere I looked and it was taunting me wicked. I looked around and all I could see was one of the same rooms I had shared with him for 9 years... the furniture we had chosen, the art prints and personal items we had acquired together. Meanwhile, he was sharing a new home with his 25 year old girlfriend (he was 42 at the time). He fucked up my life for years and then cleanly moved on and started over. I was left in the same mess... the same debt, the same house... the daily reminders and memories haunting me. I am not exaggerating here... I felt haunted and smothered! Let me be clear, I did NOT want him back. I wanted to be completely free from him.

I proceeded to rip everything off the walls, and throw and bash all of my framed pictures on the floor. I was crazed and I wanted to rip it all down and start over. I wanted my fresh start damn it! I hated everything my surroundings represented and of what they reminded me. I was on a rampage and it had to run its course.

What did I accomplish? A completely trashed room, a broken phone, and other demolished personal possessions. But something WAS accomplished in the end. While I lay on the floor sobbing, I had my "a-ha" moment. Who is going to come to my rescue? Who is going to pick me up off that floor? Who is going to make it all better? Who will make me happy again? I only laid there for a short time before I thought to myself... no one is gonna pick my ass up and make things better... except me.

I peeled myself off the floor and stood up with a refreshed outlook and plan of attack.

In that moment, I let go of anger and regret. The only person those malevolent feelings were consuming and hurting was me. I realized that I had needed that explosion of emotion to get it all out and in the end switch my energy and redirect my focus.

I looked at my situation and decided it was time to get real and take control. I contacted my car loan company, my mortgage company and everyone else I could think of to get the ball rolling to officially separate myself from the monster. I couldn't wait for him to cooperate and do it with me. There were difficult days ahead. The separation lasted longer than it legally had to because he refused to sign papers. I also knew that his mood changed with the wind and I would eventually catch him on a "less-hateful" day. I had to be patient. I had to play the game to get what I needed and to get out for good.

He thrived on me getting upset. He had his way for the last time. My "a-ha" moment pushed me to research every possibility for taking better care of myself, to keep my home, to keep my animals... and it was also the last time I allowed him to upset me. From that point forward, any time he would act psycho and begin yelling over the phone, I would simply say in a calm, matter-of-fact, manner: "You are now yelling at me, so the conversation is over and I am hanging up now."

The divorce was eventually finalized and now I can breathe. I can take care of myself. I have control over my life and my happiness.
A-ha!

4 comments:

  1. Wow...we sure do have similar past relationships, girl! What an ordeal...I'm sorry you had to get "monkey-butt-marble-free" - I've had a few of those too...if only we could've been there for each other's escapades...I think we would have ended up cracking up at each other and feeling better...I love ya girlie...thank you for sharing such a hard time in your life - you are such an inspiration to me, friend! Love always, k

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Stacia! I might have to switch up your posts and put this one up first. Very powerful. What a significant click, although it was probably more of a bang with all that breaking stuff...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, if I had known about even half of that crap before I left work he would be using steel kneecaps to get around right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I figured out how to respond to your comments, yay! Thank you much ladies! I agree Kasey, but I am so happy we are back in touch now. Julie, that is very sweet of you. ;o)

    ReplyDelete